Saturday, December 13, 2008

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS (INSTEAD OF SHEEP)

Even though this isn't really a Christmas Song, I love it when it's included on a Christmas CD. One of my favorites are all 4 of Amy Grant's Christmas albums. This year I was so excited to find a new one, "The Christmas Collection" that has 4 new songs and 14 of her favorites. She has the sweetest Christ centered music in addition to her fun carols. At any rate, #7 is "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep". It's a great version. I tried to find it for my playlist, but no luck. So listen to Diana Krall's version, it's such a sweet song.

To make a long story short, I have had a heavy heart for lots of different reasons this past month. Then on Tuesday during preschool I was hit with a terrible intestinal virus. I have never had the stomach flu so bad. Rebecca took over preschool for me and I literally slept for 2 days. I even missed our preschool Christmas party for the first time ever. Yesterday I finally felt better after 3 very long days and nights. I felt like Rip Van Winkle, it was very weird. It's finally cold here in our southern California desert. We are having a "retro Christmas" this year, due to the fact our two little granddaughters, almost 4 and 18 months are here with us 24/7. It has been fun to use the child friendly ornaments I made when my kids were little. I've kept my decorating to a bare minimum and Paige loves playing with the Fisher-Price "LITTLE LORD JESUS 'TIVITY". (How adorable is that?) We got a real tree for the first time in 4 years and it's been such a treat. Rebecca even helped me get the popcorn and cranberries done. So I am a happy camper. We lost a dear friend in our ward this week. We think of Dick Avery as the father of our ward. He was the most dependable, funny, wonderful man. So between that, the holidays and our sweet family, I've had lots of tender feelings.

I felt so grateful when I woke up to the cloudy, cool, dark morning snuggled under my warm quilt when these lyrics popped into my head. I promise if you listen it will make you smile and lighten your heart. I'm recommitted now to write in my gratitude journal each day --- just 5 items --- quick, bullet journaling phrases or simple sentences of the things you are thankful for. It makes the most difficult days better, and before you know it, instead of feeling lack, you feel extremely blessed.


COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS (INSTEAD OF SHEEP)

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep, counting my blessings

When my bankroll is gettin' small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep, counting my blessings

I think about a nursery
And I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them
As they slumber in their beds

If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings.

So if you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings.

By Irving Berlin for the 1954 movie “White Christmas”

And now in honor of my darling daughter-in-love, Jamie, I'm going to watch White Christmas.

3 comments:

Da Bergs said...

LOVE that song! THANKS, I have not heard it before!!! I too love Amy Grant! Are you feeling better?? Do you know when Br. Avery's funeral is... I was so sad when I heard!

Shannon said...

Great song! Love the pics with the grand kids!! Too cute!

Eric and Laura said...

White Christmas is my all-time favorite movie this time of year. Now I need to go watch it again! :)