Tuesday, April 7, 2009

CRAZY ABOUT CUPCAKES!





I love a cupcake. And so do the grandkids! I think maybe it's because I love a little cake with my frosting! The more frosting the better. Lately cupcakes are on every magazine cover and they are so trendy. I love that they are even doing them in lieu of wedding cakes and birthday cakes. But then, I do adore a tiered platter or pedastal cake plate! So, cupcakes are a win-win for me.

I found this great cookbook at Sam's Club and it is about $6 off the list price. It has the cutest ideas and even better are the tips and hints. I liked it so much I went back and bought 4 more for each of my girls. There are also lots of good recipes in the back. They are on facebook and they have a blog and a web site:

http://blog.hellocupcakebook.com/
http://www.hellocupcakebook.com/


Their secret seems to be using buttermilk, 4 eggs and 1/2 cup oil with a Duncan Hines cake mix. The cupcakes are wonderful and they were almost too big. Next time I'll make them smaller and get about 30 instead of 24. I tried the recipe for chocolate mint, and it was really good. Especially warm. You almost don't need frosting. Here it is:

CHOCOLATE MINT CUPCAKES, page 219
1 box (18.25 oz) devil's food cake mix-no pudding in the mix
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
4 large eggs
3/4 cup chopped mint chocolate (Andes Creme de Menthe Thins)

Make as directed, folding the mint chocolate into the batter after mixing.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1 pound (3 1/3 cups) powdered sugar
2/3 c cocoa
1 cube butter, room temperature
7 Tbsp milk

Beat until smooth. (This recipe is from our ward cookbook from Scott Perkins. It is way too chocolatey for me, I think I'd cut the cocoa in half, or use the frosting recipe for Texas Chocolate Cake).

F.Y.I. We did not enjoy the ALMOST-HOMEMADE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM frosting recipe on page 227.

1 comment:

Da Bergs said...

Funny, that is what Allysa Martin wants for her "Wedding Cake"!!! Do you know anyone who makes them (or cakes) for a living???