Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New Lemon Cake Recipe!

I love the little recipe magazines at the checkout counter each month. Am I the only one who gets sucked into buying them (besides my friend, Cassandra)? I go through phases where I just can't resist them. I try not to buy them, but then I rationalize that one good idea or recipe is worth the price! Recently, there was one featuring cake ideas and there were tons of great, easy recipes using cake mixes. I tried this lemon buttermilk cake and it is so good and so moist. I'm thinking you could use buttermilk instead of the water with any cake mix. I love a sheet cake, and my family wolfed this down. I can't wait to make it again. This magazine also had a darling dinosaur cake that would be cute for a child's birthday.

LEMON BUTTERMILK CAKE

CAKE:
1 box lemon cake mix
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

FROSTING:
1/3 cup crisco
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups sifted powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 15 X 10 X 1-inch jelly roll pan. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed for 30seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occaisionally. Pour into pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about one hour, before frosting.

In medium bowl, beat ingredients together on high speed until smooth and creamy. Spread over cake. (The frosting sounds weird, but it is super light and fluffy!)

from Betty Crocker Super Moist Cakes, April/May 2009, page 14

1 comment:

rogersfam said...

That sounds yummy! I will definately be making it