Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Year & A New Address

It won't be official until January 14th, but the move has begun!  It has been such a daunting task, but such a good decision.  We picked up the keys to our new home  a  few days ago.  While we were in  Louisiana for Christmas, we got the good news that our escrow was delayed 2 weeks, which means we are back to our original move dates.  At first we were frustrated, but then we realized by having  a month of thinking we had to be done moving by December 30th it helped motivate us to hustle our packing and planning.  That is an understatement. We basically did zero for Christmas.  No decorating.  No tree.  No nativities.  No baking.  No parties. No Christmas cards.  No fun, until the night before we left for Louisiana.  But that's a story for another post. 

I am finding that moving is almost more mental work than physical and we are exhausted all the way around.  Trying to decide how and where to put things in a place that will be convenient is taking more time than I imagined.  I have taken for granted so many little things, like knowing how all my appliances work and where things are in the kitchen, or anywhere else for that matter.  I am trying to plan carefully so I can unpack as I go.  We will have a much larger kitchen and pantry so that helps.  But then I get emotional and overwhelmed with the enormity of the task ahead, and after a small meltdown I just start all over again and make a new list. 

The other thing I have taken for granted is the ease of having  "current information" on all my ID, checks, etc.  Now when I am asked," Is this your current address?", I will have to remember my new address and phone number.  The address is super easy - 41111 -  but the phone number and zip code will be tricky since it's been the same for 30 years!

No comments: